As we grow older, our physical health starts declining. We no longer have the same energy and strength we are used to having. The addition of chronic conditions and diseases makes it a bigger struggle for most of the older population to feel capable of taking care of themselves. Elderly start being dependent on their children and grandchildren for even their daily needs. This can give rise to feelings of loneliness, frustration, and often anger and further reduce the mental health of the elderly.
Healthy companionship can be one of the tools that can help the elderly feel better. Whether it is a friend, family member, a close relative, or a member of a caregiving service or home care nursing, healthy companionship can help enrich the life of the senior member in countless meaningful ways. Additionally, finding support in the form of anger management therapy can help the elderly explore their emotions, help them develop coping skills, improve their mental health as well as their overall quality of life.
Here are a few ways in which companionship and anger management therapies can help in elderly care.
- Taking care of medical emergencies: Medical emergencies can occur at any time, making it crucial for the elderly to have a companion who stays nearby and is aware of their medical details. A companion or home nurse can also provide the elderly with the required emergency care as well as offer psychological assistance and support during a distressing emergency situation.
- Help with daily activities: With our physical declining as we age, it becomes difficult for the elderly to carry out the daily tasks of life and they often feel incapable of taking care of themselves. A caregiving companion or home attendant for elderly can help them in their daily activities such as bringing medicines, and groceries, cooking food, cleaning the house, taking care of important documentation, and so on. This can feel like an immense amount of support for them both physically and mentally.
- Fostering friendship and safe space to express: Companion care can be truly invaluable in elevating the elderly’s health and quality of life. They can serve as a friend in undertaking fun and leisurely activities such as going for walks, enjoying their favorite hobbies, playing games, etc. They can offer the elderly a safe space to have conversations, express their emotions, and share their feelings. This can have some great emotional benefits for the elderly and help them have a positive outlook on their life.
- Ensure safety: With the decline in physical health, the elderly become prone to falling or facing injuries. These injuries can be both minor and major. Having a companion around them can help ensure they are safe and risk-free. This can reduce the incidence and risk of home accidents and increase the safety of the environment. They can also respond promptly and contact emergency services in case of an unfortunate accident.
- Improving physical and mental health: When you are angry for more amount of time, you might face issues such as high blood pressure, headaches, difficulty sleeping, and muscle pain. Our emotional and physical symptoms are closely related. Hence, managing anger in the elderly can be a great way to help their body relax. Anger management strategies and relaxation techniques such as exercising regularly, practicing yoga and meditation, spending time in nature, releasing emotions via talk therapy, etc. can help the elderly deal with their emotions in a more healthy manner, improving both their mental and physical health. Releasing stored emotions can make space for more healthy and positive energy in the mind and body.
- Helps regulate their emotions: Understanding the triggers, staying calm and managing the situation, learning and practicing better ways of expressing their anger, and knowing how to prevent anger outbursts from occurring can go a long way in regulating the emotions in the elderly. This can help improve their relationship with themselves and others and help them feel more fulfilled. It can help them recognize the changes in their, life, help them in choosing how to respond to these changes, and root them in their power and contentment. Learning to regulate their anger can reduce their unnecessary suffering and improve their well-being.
Elcare is an elder care service provider that is dedicated to improving the physical and mental wellness of elders via various services including senior citizen caretaker services, home nursing services, and private duty nursing for the elderly. For information about our Health & Wellness Advisory and other services, call us at 08045914567.