If you have/had contracted the COVID-19 infection, chances are you’re dealing with post-recovery complications and complaints. Some of the most common post-covid complaints include fatigue, weakness, and loss of strength, appetite, muscle mass and weight. You might also have to deal with the after-effects of strong medications and the psychological trauma you went through.
A nutritious diet – Your armour to body strength
Food is medicine. Your best armor on the road to complete recovery from COVID-19 is good nutrition. Here are some dietary recommendations for proper nourishment during post-covid recovery:
- Eat more good-quality protein to help repair damage to body tissues and regain muscle.
- Include good fats in your diet as they benefit the immune system and help in the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K.
- Avoid eating simple carbohydrates. Stick to consuming complex carbohydrates which contain fiber in controlled portions.
- Boost your gut health by consuming prebiotics (such as fiber-rich foods, garlic, berries, apples, etc.) and fermented or cultured probiotics (such as yogurt, pickles, kefir, sauerkraut, and kimchi). Fill your plate with more colorful food.
- Avoid sugar completely as it suppresses the immune system.
- Eat small and frequent meals. Spreading your calorie intake throughout the day aids your body in better utilising these calories.
- Eat a handful of nuts and seeds every day.
- Keep yourself hydrated throughout the day. Apart from water, you can drink lemon juice, buttermilk, coconut water, etc.
Elders require extra care and attention during and after COVID-19. As most of the people above the age of 60 deal with some health condition or the other, their dietary requirements can be a little different than others. Here are some special tips:
- Make sure they drink 2-3 litres of water every day and stay hydrated
- Too much deviation from their regular diets can cause digestive problems. This must be kept in mind while making post-covid dietary alterations.
- Ensure that they eat their meals on time.
- They must eat food that is easier to digest.
Ensuring love, care, and comfort for the elderly, today, tomorrow, and always - Elcare provides carenting for Elders. Ex-servicemen who once safeguarded the country’s borders, have now transformed themselves into Elcare Caremates dedicated to protecting your elderly parents with all their love and zeal.
In these unprecedented times, if you are struggling to take care of your elderly parents or need special care and attention for them, give us a call on +918045914567 to discuss how we can help you make their lives better!